Thursday, August 04, 2005

I Have Returned

I have just returned from an extended exploratory mission throughout the United States of America (that's me below, with two of Cedar Rapids' finest citizens not named Kevin Randle), and am eager to share some of my findings with you.


For example, while I've been on your planet, and keeping an eye on those who study what you call "The UFO Phenomenon," I've noticed that most "Ufologists" bemoan the lack of serious scientific study given to UFOs.

As they whistle on Baxiclar Prime, "be careful what you wish for."

While in the Southwest, I discovered that the University of Utah takes the question of ET life very seriously. They even offer a course in the subject.

Physics 1490 - Does ET Exist?

Despite being mildly offended by the title of the course, I decided to look into it.

Some of the areas of study?

1. What is the universe?
2. What is life?
3. How do we define intelligent life? [Z. note - your standards are a lot less rigorous than mine]
4. How strange can life be? [Z. note - you have NO idea]
5. Are ETs likely to be plentiful?
6. Is it possible to travel to other solar systems (a class is even held on relativity and UFOs)?
7. If ET exists, then where is she? [Z. note - HE is RIGHT HERE!]

Seems like good news for Ufologists, oui? [Z. note - I picked up some French-language knowledge while in Louisiana]

Non.

The text for the course?

Life in the Universe by Bennett, SHOSTAK and Jakosky.

The text for the term paper?

Contact by Carl Sagan.

Uh oh.

The real clue as to the nature of the course comes with the final two questions listed for discussion:

1. Should we search for ET and if so, how?
2. What is SETI?

My answers?

1. Get out into space yourself. We're waiting for you!
2. Earthman Friedman has it right - Silly Effort to Investigate.

For more information on the course see www.physics.utah.edu/~cassiday/p1490.syllabus1490.html.

Oh well, ufologists. Better luck next time.

For my part, I can only say - good to be back!

Zorgrot,
Commander
(I've been promoted!!)

P.S. I come in peace... honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home